Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tempus Fugit-

Tempus Fugit--Time Flies. It's a phrase that has been used for thousands of years. When I learned this sententia, I was in a highschool Latin class, and time couldn't have been going slower. I commited it to memory, and moved on. However, The whole time I've been living here in Paris, this powerful idiom keeps popping back into my head as I realize it's truthfulness. One morning I wake up and it's the middle of October; the next, I'm celebrating a "French" Thanksgiving. No matter how many pictures I take, or how descriptively I write in my journal, I will never be able to capture the feel of the crisp air in the mornings, or the piles on the old cobble-stone streets, full of colorful leaves that stick to my shoes. Paris has treated me well. Sometimes I just stop in the middle of the street and really look. I catch my breath, and wonder how I got so lucky to live here. Sure, on occasion, I feel angry at the metro, or at the dryer machines that take four hours to dry clothes. But through the good and the bad, the lonely times, the exciting times, I have experienced things I will never forget nor regret. A cordon bleu class taught by an elite chef in Paris, the view from the Arch de Triumph, exploring a museum dedicated to chocolate, class in the Louvre every week, going on runs by the Seine, feeding a sugar cube to a horse in the Versailles gardens, eating a macaron that makes your eyes close and commit to memory it's texture, taste, and feel....my mind gets lost in the memories just writing these words.

I have approximately 1 week and 1 day left here. I know I haven't been the greatest blogger, and I know I have left so much out, but I just wanted to write to you now, and tell you that I am living in Paris! The city of lights, the city of fashion, the city of architecture, art, history...and so much more. Living here has helped me see the world with new eyes, and I plan on treasuring my Parisian adventure forever.




2 comments:

  1. i know! sucks, right? why can't everything just freeze when we want it to? everything perfect just freeze until we're ready to unfreeze it because we've had enough? i swear tomorrow i'm going to wake up and it will be a week from now and paris will be a dream on my way back over the ocean. into the snow. how terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH so great!! I can't believe you're already coming home so soon! Aren't the experiences you have living somewhere else amazing!?

    ReplyDelete